August 29, 2013
Learning Station children, under the leadership of Becky Spell from both the Learning Station and Tim’s Gift, spent their summer focused on the theme, “Gotta’ Shape Up,” with staff, children, and parents signed on with a commitment of support to help us all shape up physically, academically, socially, and spiritually.
During the 11 weeks of summer 2013, Spell said they:
1. Stressed good eating habits;
2. Physical Shaping up, which included weekly walks around the mile track at Royal Lane on swimming days.
3. Foreign Missions The children made and prayed over 400-plus salvation bracelets and sent them to the Urkraine with Ms. Ashley Hartsoe. She showed pictures of people who received them.
4. Home Missions The kids went out on 70-plus sonshine visits to rest homes, businesses, hospitals, and peoples’ homes throughout the summer. Children made sonshine cards that were given on visits. Children prayed with the people.
5. Summer revival in August at Sunset School. Over 300 people attended. The children did three dance interpretations for praise and worship. Tyler Jernigan delivered the message.
6. Social skills were taught through Sonshine visits and a summer tea party/ luncheon for the girls. Ms. Patty Cherry brought hats and gloves for all the girls to wear. The Ashford Inn provided a great meal. Lessons on etiquette and ladylike behavior made this a fun learning experience.
7. Summer Sleepover All students were invited to lock in with Ms. Becky, Ms. Ashley, and Mr. Sean at The Learning Station one night in August. They enjoyed a meal at a local restaurant, a kick ball game at dusk, sonshine visit, and getting their pajamas on as Mrs. Anna Crumpton from Newton Grove, a cancer survivor and strong supporter of the children, performed on her harp. She put on her PJ’s also and charmed the children for over one hour with bedtime stories and harp music chosen to correspond with each story.
8. Prayer Partners, with morning and afternoon devotion and prayer time daily.