By Sherry Matthews firstname.lastname@example.org
May 7, 2014
The Sampson Independent has just learned that an arrest has been made in the Sept. 6, 2013 murder of 11-year-old McKenzie Sessoms.
Unofficial sources confirmed the arrest moments ago. A press conference has been called by Sampson County Sheriff's officials for 11:30 a.m. today, but officials there declined comment on the incident, saying details would be provided at the press conference.
The arrest comes on the heels of an extensive 8-month investigation into the Salemburg child's murder.
The 11-year-old was found dead in her Hairr Drive home early Friday morning, Sept. 6, and since that time, all officers would say about the incident was that her death was suspicious. In mid-September, detectives did go so far as to reveal that the child's death was a homicide, but few other details have surfaced since that time.
Sheriff's officers were called to the mobile home the morning of Sept. 6 by 911 communicators who alerted them that a child was unresponsive at the residence. When officers arrived, they found the child dead.
Since that time, investigators, including members of the State Bureau of Investigation, have been interviewing witnesses and talking to people in the area, trying to piece together what might have happened inside the home.
In mid-September, Medical Examiner Dr. Carl Barr said that the child's death was not a natural one nor accidental in his opinion.
“It's a homicide,” Dr. Barr said. “There's no doubt in my mind about that.”
See more details as they unfold here and a full report in Thursday's Sampson Independent.