A Sunday afternoon crackdown on child support offenders has rounded up 14 Sampson residents who were taken into custody for the offenses.
“I would like to commend the efforts of the Sheriff’s Office Civil Division for putting together such a successful and large scale roundup,” Sampson Sheriff Jimmy Thornton said in a prepared statement this morning, nothing his appreciation, too, to off-duty deputies who came in on their scheduled days off to assist in the roundup.
The off-duty deputies teamed with Civil Child Support deputies to conduct the county-wide crackdown whose purpose, Thornton said, was to identify all outstanding child support offenders, locate them and take them into custody.
In all, 14 were arrested and served with 19 warrants related to child support cases. Additionally, six criminal papers were served during the roundup.
Thornton touted the off-duty officers for working tirelessly on a project that meant devoting personal time to a roundup of this caliber.
“It shows the commitment that all of my employees have to serving the citizens of Sampson County,” the sheriff noted in the release. “I could not ask to have a better staff than I do, and the people of Sampson County should be proud. Their efforts have helped ensure that a lot of child support offenders see their day in court.”
Those arrested, some whose names appeared in the Independent’s Crimewatch listing in Tuesday’s paper, were:
• Phillip Frances Powell Jr., 131 Wayne Lane, Harrells, $1,000 cash bond;
• Ervin Rondale Smith, 16 Water House Circle, Clinton, three child support orders for arrest served/$1,000 cash bond, $400 cash bond, $200 Cash bond; 1 criminal paper served/probation violation with a $20,000 secured bond;
• Vincent Peterson, 150 Loop Road, Clinton, $1,000 cash bond
• Maurillo Rivera Hernandez, 144 Manuel Lane, Faison, $1,200 cash bond;
• Tony Cummings, 113 Sandhill Lane, Autryville, $1,200 cash bond;
• Christopher Chavious, 2780 Hayes Chapel Road, Rose Hill, $1,500 cash bond;
• Alexander Lee, 1246 Alex Benton Road, Newton Grove, 2 child support orders for arrests served; $300 cash bond each.
• Anthony W. Faison, 2148 Lake Artesia Road, Faison, $1,500 cash bond;
• Jeffrey McLellan, 520 Chancey Road, Clinton, $500 cash bond;
• Ramiro Ramos, 95 Royce Lane, Newton Grove, one child support order for arrest served; $350 cash bond; one criminal order for arrest served for no operator’s license with a $2,000 secured bond;
• Abasi McCain, 3185 Autryville Road, Roseboro, $500 cash bond;
• James Monk, 784 Bluebird Lane, Newton Grove, $600 cash purge (out of county);
• Jason Locklear, 2852 Odom Road, Clinton, $5,000 cash bond;
• Donald McLellan, 520 Chancey Road, Clinton, two child support orders for arrest served; $1,000 cash bond each; four criminal orders for arrest served with a total $4,500 secured bond.