More assault charges have been added to the laundry list of offenses a Roseboro man is facing in connection with a shootout and wreck that occurred along Sunset Avenue in the wee hours of Labor Day morning. At the same time, officers are waiting to arrest a second suspect recovering from injuries sustained in the wreck and looking for a third, still on the lam.
Joseph Aaron Mack, 25, 104 Mack Joseph Lane, Roseboro, was put back behind bars Friday night after officers charged him with four counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. Mack, who turned himself in to authorities that evening, was jailed under a $500,000 and remains in the Sampson County Detention Center awaiting trial.
The additional charges, added to three other assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill offenses leveled against Mack days after the incident, were tacked on after investigators met with District Attorney Ernie Lee last week.
New charges, Police Chief Jay Tilley said, are connected to the shootout that occurred after a wreck that injured innocent travelers Ray and Cassandra Cuvilje, who were rear-ended by one of two vehicles racing down Sunset Avenue, its occupants shooting at one another as they traveled.
Shooting continued on the Sunset roadway after the wreck and while two citizens were attempting to render aid to the Cuviljes. All four, officers said, were considered victims, caught in the crossfire during the shootout.
The incident began just after 4 a.m. Monday, Sept. 3, when a dispute at a backyard club continued on the roadway, with two vehicles — an Acura Legend and a white Pontiac — chasing one another into town, occupants of the vehicles reportedly firing shots along the way. As the two vehicles entered the city limits, the Acura Legend plowed into the back of Cuvilje’s Ford pickup, sending it plowing into a utility pole and eventually overturning.
One of the occupants of the Acura, Stanley Jamel Henry, 23, of 619 Eastover Terrace, Clinton is hospitalized in Wake Med’s rehabilitation hospital, recovering from injuries he sustained in the wreck. Warrants have been issued for Henry, charging him with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill and possession of a firearm by a felon.
Tilley said Henry will be arrested upon his release from the hospital.
A third suspect, James Curtis Walker, also known as Baby J, is being sought by police, who have warrants charging him with assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and possession of a firearm by a felon.
Tilley said investigators are unsure of Walker’s whereabouts. “We want to put our hands on him, that’s for sure. We’re still looking for him, but we don’t think he’s in the local area. We are asking anyone who has seen him or might know of his whereabouts to contact us.”
The Clinton Police Department can be contacted at 910-592-3105 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The chief said crash reconstructionists are continuing to work on the data collected at the wreck scene, and once that is complete he expects traffic and more criminal assault charges to be filed.
Tilley also said a fourth suspect might be arrested before the case is closed.
“We are waiting on lab results, which could take a while yet, but there’s the chance there may be another suspect arrested before we are through,” he acknowledged.