“The Carol Burnett Show” makes its debut on the stage of the Sampson Community Theatre in one week and since you are aware of how fast a week goes by, it is hoped you have made your plans to attend one or more of the performances.
The cast deserves your support because they have labored through a hot summer to try to bring you a show that will keep you entertained with seven skits from the popular TV show of some years past. For our older audiences, you will remember some of the skits, but the younger audience members will be experiencing a unique form of comedy that was performed live and often had laughable mistakes mixed in with the plot.
The show will have seven skits and a special involving a visit to a dentist so we look forward to seeing you at one of the six performances and trust you will leave the theater with a big smile on your face.
Angela Martin has returned from a three-week trip to London where she studied acting and comedy at the London School of Drama. Classes she attended were international with students from Italy and Switzerland, and in talking with her she frequently had an English brogue to some of her words. She was able to attend the opening ceremony at the Olympic games as well as some gymnastics and the marathon. We are happy to have her back because she was in charge of this weeks seventh Annual Summer Drama Camp for 25 or more youngsters interested in learning more about acting.
Plans for our 2013 season are under way and, assuming we can obtain the rights, will include shows like “Oklahoma, ” “Lost On The Fourth Of July,” “Crimes Of The Heart,” “The Wizard Of Oz,” “Hairspray” and “It’s A Wonderful Life.”
• “The Carol Burnett Show”- Opening on Aug. 24 at 8 p.m. Other shows at 8 p.m. on Aug. 25, 31 and Sept. 1. Shows on Aug. 26 and Sept. 2 are at 3 p.m. A Patron Sponsor event.
•”Nuncrackers”-Auditions Saturday, Sept. 1 at 10 a.m. Directed by Sandra Clifton. Performances Nov. 9-11 and 16-18. A Patron Sponsor event.
• “A Christmas Carol”-Auditions Oct. 27. Performances Dec. 7-9 and 14-16. A Patron Sponsor event.
2013 Season Probables:
“Hairspray” January, “Crimes Of The Heart” March-April; “Wizard Of Oz”, “Oklahoma”, “Lost On The Fourth Of July”, Fall; “It’s A Wonderful Life” in December.
THOUGHTS UNTIL NEXT WEEK:
• In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.
• Big people talk about big ideas; Average people talk about average ideas; Small people talk about other people.
• Lying to ourselves is more deeply ingrained than lying to others.