It’s fall, which means school is back in session, the leaves are changing colors, and some of your favorite television shows are finally returning after a too-long summer hiatus. Many people are excited to catch up with the “Modern Family” gang, “The Walking Dead” zombies and the new cast of “Dancing with the Stars,” and they don’t want to miss a moment of their beloved shows while on-the-go. Luckily, smartphones and tablets are the perfect tools to stay connected, informed and entertained wherever you go.
With the 4G LTE network available through U.S. Cellular, customers can tune into “The Middle” while in the middle of a flight and keep up with the Kardashians while they’re keeping up with their errands. Cutting-edge devices, such as the Samsung Galaxy S III and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, allow users to catch all of their favorite sitcoms along with the news or even the big game from anywhere.
The following apps to help users stay entertained.
• IMDb (Internet Movie Database) is one of the most comprehensive sources of film and TV information available today. This free app lists more than two million movies and TV programs and features detailed cast and crew information, plot summaries and interesting trivia. Additionally, it links to Amazon so you can easily buy movies and TV shows, and peruse updated showtimes for your local theaters. In short, it’s TV nirvana!
• Now, every major network has its own app, such as the NBC app and ABC app, which will ensure that you’ll never miss an episode of your favorite network TV show. Apps, such as TV.com, provide free access to CBS TV channels like CNBC, CW, ET, CBS Showtime, CBS Sports, and CNET. The newest version of this app is faster than before, with an enhanced layout that provides quick, easy access to your favorite shows.
• SPB TV is a multi-platform app that allows you to watch TV shows from around the world for free. It boasts more than 120 channels and it’s simple and quick to navigate between channels, check out previews, view picture-in-picture mode and even watch on-demand programming.
• The Netflix app is one of the biggest names in streaming TV and movies. This company offers apps on just about every mobile platform, game consoles and other smart TV devices, letting viewers catch their favorite shows and movies at their convenience. With a paid subscription to Netflix, the app is free.
• The World Streaming TV app has recently been at the top spot on Google Play’s Video and Media apps category. This app has a huge list of channels to choose from, providing access to shows from more than 70 different countries. Watch your favorite TV shows, sporting events or world news, from “Downtown Abbey” and “The X Factor” to the World Cup.
U.S. Cellular offers 4G LTE service, allowing for faster web browsing and speedy app downloads that are up to10 times faster than 3G and similar to a cable Internet connection, which is ideal for TV viewing. The 4G LTE network through U.S. Cellular is also the only 4G LTE network with unique benefits, such as a valuable rewards program that recognizes customer loyalty, earlier phone upgrades, new phones faster without continuously signing contracts, and free incoming calls, texts and picture messages. U.S. Cellular’s high-speed nationwide network has the highest call quality and network satisfaction of any national carrier.
U.S. Cellular also believes that a mobile phone is supposed to make life simpler and easier to get things done and your relationship with your wireles carrier should be the same. That’s why smartphone users who want help finding and downloading apps, such as the apps listed above, or have other questions about viewing TV on their device can attend a free U.S. Cellular Device Workshop. Associates guide attendees through all of the features and functions of their devices, and help them personalize their phones to enhance their lives. Attendees do not have to be U.S. Cellular customers. The next workshop for customers in Clinton will be held on Saturday, Oct. 13 at 9 a.m. at U.S. Cellular’s retail location at 360 Northeast Blvd.
(Editor’s note: Devon Hailey is the U.S. Cellular store manager in Clinton.)