Two Clinton men are behind bars this morning, charged in the April 28 shooting death of a Devane Street resident.
Tramon C. Williams, 24, of 200 Still St., and Ambrose Brandon Laster, 24, of 413 Stetson St., are being held without bond in the Sampson County Detention Center. They were taken there Thursday night after Clinton Police obtained murder warrants for their arrest.
The pair are charged in connection with the death of 60-year-old Alfredo Medina, who was confronted at his 212 Devane St. residence by two unknown suspects. One of the two, investigators said, had a weapon and used it to shoot Medina.
Clinton Police Chief Jay Tilley said investigators believe robbery was the motive.
“Police and SBI investigators were very diligent in sticking with this case even though the leads were exhausted in the investigation,” Tilley said Friday. “I am particularly proud of the way both the uniform patrol and the investigators worked in developing information that led to an arrest in this eight-month-old case.”
Leads had been slow to come in just after the murder occurred, leaving investigators with little to go on in what then police chief Mike Brim had called a random act of violence.
Medina died in the early morning hours of April 28. He was sitting on his porch talking with two of his nephews around 12:30 a.m. when two men reportedly walked up and one of them began shooting. In all, six rounds were fired; Medina was struck once in the chest. Early reports noted that he ran to avoid getting hit, but later collapsed near a fence and died. The nephews were not injured.
After conducting an eight-month investigation, investigators, Tilley said, met with District Attorney Ernie Lee to present the evident. Following the meeting, officers secured warrants for Williams and Laster and picked both men up Thursday.
Tilley noted that tenacity was the key to being able to make the arrests. “Our officers never gave up on this investigation, even though it was eight months old.”
Investigators are also still searching for information in another unsolved city murder, which took place three years ago, on New Year’s Day.
Although officers still have few leads in the case, Tilley said it was still an active investigation and information was always being sought.
In that case, 31-year-old Manuel Dejesus Martinez was shot to death at his 413 Vance St. residence. Officers had little to go on in the case from the start, with the only suspect description being that of a man leaving the scene in a black, hooded sweatshirt.
The incident occurred just before 10 a.m. on New Year’s Day 2010.
Anyone who may have information that case is asked to call investigators at 910-592-3105.