The Sampson Independent celebrated the grand opening of a new location with a Clinton-Sampson Chamber of Commerce ribbon-cutting ceremony and open house on March 2. The building, located at 109 W. Main St., Clinton, was built in 1936 and later renovated in the 1950s. From its opening in 1936 until 2004, the building served as the Clinton Post Office, at which time the post office moved to its current location in Coharie Plaza. In June 2005, Wilcare Facilities Inc. and company president George E. Wilson purchased the building through an online auction. The historic building was subsequently renovated at a cost of $326,000.
The Independent’s circulation manager Alexus Dudley serves cake to Patty Cherry, as well as former Salemburg mayor Bobby Strickland and wife Pauline, just a few of the many guests at the Independent’s recent open house.
Aerial Goodman, customer sales and service representative for the Sampson Independent, prepares a cake for the open house.
Dwight Williams, district director for the Office of U.S. Rep. David Rouzer, presents Sampson Independent editor/publisher Sherry Matthews with an American flag to fly at the newspaper’s new location, as Independent employees Alexus Dudley and Aerial Goodman look on.