Two women wanted in a July 20 theft from Subway, where they were previously employed, have now been charged after being arrested in Cumberland County, local authorities said.
Lauren Suzanne Caballero-Butler, 23, and Debreezja Jones, 22, whose addresses were not immediately known, have been arrested on charges of breaking and entering, safe cracking, felony larceny and misdemeanor larceny, stemming from warrants taken out at the end of last month.
The former Subway employees were reportedly dismissed July 19 before returning to the Clinton location on Northeast Boulevard the next night, dressed in their work uniforms. They allegedly took hundreds of dollars from the business, Subway co-owner Frank Brinkley said at the time.
Caballero-Butler was arrested on Aug. 11 by the Fayetteville Police Department. She received $25,000 secured bond and was transferred to Sampson County Detention Center on Tuesday. Jones turned herself in to Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday. She received a $5,000 secured bond and was able to bond out on the same day, Clinton Police Lt. Alpha Clowney said Thursday.
In addition to the outstanding warrants, Caballero-Butler was charged with failure to appear on charges of no operator’s license and speeding, out of Cumberland County.
The day after the larceny, Brinkley released nearly a dozen surveillance images that appeared to capture the two suspects as they unlocked the front register and a safe before one of them snatched the money. The theft occurred around 10:40 p.m. July 20, about 40 minutes after the business closed.
“It was an inside job,” said Brinkley, the day after the heist. “They were fired on (July 19) and came back last night.”
The incident was reported July 21 to Clinton Police Department authorities. At the time, Clinton Police Chief Donald Edwards said that surveillance video showed two persons of interest who authorities believed had “some inside knowledge of the business,” but did not go into detail. Warrants were issued four days later.
Brinkley said one of the suspects came in and let a second suspect in through the back door. Both then made their way to the register. They were each dressed in green Subway shirts.
“The crew that was there (July 20) did not know they had been dismissed,” Brinkley said, “and thought they were there to help them close. That’s how they acted.”
Jones is scheduled for court on Aug. 25. Caballero-Butler will have her first appearance on Aug. 28.
Reach Managing Editor Chris Berendt at 910-249-4616. Follow the paper on twitter @SampsonInd and like us on Facebook.